Monday, January 31, 2011

Bits and Pieces…

Well we have the Internet back!!! For how long I don’t know and certainly know enough to not count on it…. NOW. Actually we do have Internet when the ADSL is down, but it is slow, very slow. Any one that has used 3G air-card knows just how slow, (not on a phone, but on a computer).
I have been playing with the new camera and lenses… and here are some birds. All have a bit of color.
First is the Red Headed Finch. These guys were coming to the feeder, but I haven’t seen them in a few weeks. Mostly because we have had lots of rain; gray and cloudy for nearly 2 weeks... Nothing too remarkable about the birds… they are finches… eat and chatter.
red-head-finch

Next is another shot of a Southern Masked Weaver. They are so bright I think the camera has trouble focusing on them. I’ll keep trying to get a shot I like…
and last is a bird called a Southern Red Bishop, and yes they are really that bright. Just as bright as the Weaver. Both the Weaver and the Bishop make some interesting nests. The Weaver make a bell shaped nest that hangs from the end of a branch with the opening at the bottom. The Bishop, builds his nest in the reeds, hanging off at the junction of a leaf and the stalk…. not sure where the entrance to the nest is. Didn’t think to look.
red-bishopred-bishop-2



My husband signed me up for a Digital Class…which was last Saturday. There were about 30 attending the class with cameras from point and shoot to sophisticated DSLR’s. The fellow giving the presentation is a published award winning photographer. I enjoyed his talk about his work. Although I did learn a few things while listening, but so far I’m doing most things right.
One thing I do want to share and it’s a bit of a RANT. I ordered a memory card for my new camera from Ritz Camera. Got an email…. that said congrats order is processing. I wait and wait and wait for the card to arrive. I go and check my order online after 3 weeks of waiting, and they cancelled it, because they couldn’t confirm my details. Hello, didn’t anyone consider calling the number I left with the order, or even send an email. NOPE. So let me just say… if you are considering purchasing from Ritz Camera, please choose another retailer, the customer service is non-existent and unrepentant.
I got another 4x4 in the mail. I am still waiting on one more I think, and then I’ll have them all. Gracie didn’t think she was good enough… and sat on these …. what a great surprise this was. Between hand embroidery, machine embroidery and the beading; they are awesome! What do you think?
Gracies-4x4
I have also been  in the sewing room, made a block to swap, but I can’t share it yet. Don’t want to spoil her surprise.
Stay tuned there’ll be more later-  Beth


4 comments:

  1. That little bird is so pretty!

    I had the same problem you had with Ritz camera with Keepsake quilting. Never ordered anything from them again.

    I can't wait to see all the swap blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That weaver bird is incredible! So pretty! I was just reading a book about baobab (sp) trees with weaver bird nests hanging from them. Now I know what both look like thanks to your blog :-).

    Too bad about the internet and camera shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weaver bird is so bright! Wow. I really like the 4x4. Not good enough? Crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pictures of the birds are bee-u-ti-ful!! I can't wait to see your next post.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment- big or small.... I love hearing what the pictures say to you too.