Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Axel

Monday was a very sad day at my house. 

Now there is a huge hole in our family, in our house, in our hearts.

We had to say good bye to Axel. Sunday he started downhill and by Monday morning.... he was in pretty sad shape. Axel already had a myriad of health issues, that we were keeping at bay with lots of work and some rather uncomfortable means, he wore an E-collar most of the time, but we really weren't ready to say goodbye so fast. We saw it coming... sort of like a train, but we thought we would be able to ease into goodbye.

Axel about 5 in Chicago
He was almost 13, which is not terribly old for a dog, but those 13 years felt like much longer. He was game for anything any time. He was almost my shadow. By that I mean he knew where I was all the time... but didn't have to be in my face or underfoot. If I left the house he waited for me to come home, and according the husband, he would howl and be very impatient for me to come in, when he heard the garage door go up. It didn't matter if I was gone for 10 minutes or 10 days.

He was my dog. 


Axel about 2 years old in Nebraska

These are my 2 favorite pictures of him. His presence or to be more precise the lack of his presence is palpable. I notice it. He was a big dog with a big personality. I know the pain of missing him will lessen, some day.

Of course we still have Linzi, and she seems relatively unaffected, although, I think she is just wondering when he will come home. I would like him to come home too.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear this news. Axel, beautiful and intelligent countenance. May he rest in peace and may you find peace knowing he is all right now.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry that you lost Axel. I have enjoyed hearing your stories over the years, especially ones that included him and his pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Beth....I'm soo very sorry! I know you love your dogs and Axel was definitely a special dog.

    Hugs,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment- big or small.... I love hearing what the pictures say to you too.