Sunday, January 22, 2017

Samples

I was asked if I would share some Thread Play again this year. A few years ago I threw this Hibiscus Flower together for a class I would be taking, "The Open Threadbar" with Cindy Needham. In the class we were going to have the opportunity to play with all the Superior threads that were available at the time. I had not had my 
Janome 6600 for long and there was lots of talk about many of the newer machines did not like many of the new threads. I thought it was a great way to try all the Superior threads without having to purchase any. As it turns out the Janome.... liked them all! Most of the class played on a white/muslin sandwich... and did the stitch outs using the fancy stitches on their machines. I wanted to see how the thread would behave on an actual project.
The fabrics are batiks and backed with fusible, so there were some rather thick areas where the fabric stacked up. But I didn't have time to cut away fusible as I really did throw this together in the last hour....

I had to create a patter for the hibiscus since the original was
supposed to be a one off. I spent December working on that and then thought that after painting a hibiscus last year at the guild, we might want a different flower, and created the Echinacea. This yellow one is a test... for the pattern and is small. I will leave it unfinished for now. Although it just needs a little more quilting and the binding. I did add some beads tho. If you click on the photo you should be able to see the details.


Once I had the test all worked out, I made one that is full size, too.  The first picture is the detail, I added a few beads to give it some sparkle and dimension. The yellow and the orange are the same pattern just oriented differently on the background.











The instructions for both of them are the same, so the fabric choices and the number of pieces are different, I will let participants choose the one they want to do.

3 comments:

  1. I love to see flowers in winter! Your samples are very nice. It would be hard to choose which one to do. I'm glad your machine liked all of the threads. I have found that some fancy threads work fine one day and won't work at all on a different day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these are very nice Beth! Beautiful work and the class will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with the red flower with stem at the end of your post. The yellow is pretty and the beads really add a nice touch. Your work is lovely and I know the students in your class will be impressed with your knowledge and skills.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment- big or small.... I love hearing what the pictures say to you too.