Sunday, August 31, 2014

2 Big Projects Done

I’m here, really I am. I have been very busy, recently.
Isn’t this a beautiful quilt? It is 72 x 84 inches and titled “Waterfords Fields and Forest”. It is the opportunity quilt for the Waterford Quilters Guild. I have put approximately a billion stitches in it with many of the other guild members. I started last winter… maybe November by doing some of the Redwork embroidery on 2 blocks. The Cardinal and the Prairie Rose. When I got those done I volunteered to do one of the borders. All the blocks measure 12” finished.
I did one of the side borders, which measured some-WFF-1-brdrwhere around 60
inches long. The picture on the right is just 3 of the border motifs, and the other is a close up of the one of the motifs. Each border has 2 different embroidery motifs that make up the 6 total.
The Quilt Committee worked hard getting the center blocks set and once the borders were done added them. And then the quilting began. This quilt is about 80% handmade. Some of the pieced blocks, I think were done by machine. The quilting on the entire quilt is done by hand. I quilted a block as well, and I think it was the rabbit, but I am not sure. I was so concerned with keeping the dog hair off, that the quilting part is a blur.
The last big hurdle was getting the binding on the quilt. “The Quilt Mom”, our member that took on getting the quilting done and keeping the schedule and getting it from one member to the next, called to say the binding was on, but still needed to be stitched to the back. I suggested that she come over, we’d put it on the cutting table and each take up a side and stitch until we got it done. Took the 2 of us a bit more than 2 hours to get it done. It was a very pleasant afternoon!!!
My next job was another large task. Every year we display the quilt and sell the tickets at several handcraft fairs, the largest and most exclusive being the Waterford Fair. The guild participates every year and most years there are requests for the pattern of the quilt. The pattern this year was designed by a guild member with the embroideries hand drawn of the plants and animals that are found around the little village of Waterford Virginia. So this year we have a pattern too. It was a group effort, one member did the directions for piecing the Virginal Star block, another member did the drawings and I formatted it.
The specifics of the pattern are: complete piecing instructions for the block, all 15 of the graphics you see on the actual quilt plus 4 additional graphics if you are not fond of one or four of them, all the graphics for the border and suggestion for the quilting. We are making it available in both the paper format (16 pages graphics must be enlarged) , above or a PDF format on CD or via email. The PDF is the paper patter plus all the graphics full size (40 pages). The Pattern is only $5 plus postage $1, (CD or paper). And if you are more interested in winning the quilt I can supply you with a ticket $1 or 6 for $5!!! Please just email me at baquilter (at) gmail (dot) com (fill in the missing symbols) for either a ticket or the pattern.
Oh and the drawing for the quilt will happen late afternoon on October 5th.
As Always- More Later! Beth


Exuberant Color said...

That really is a pretty quilt. Of course you can't beat hand embroidery and RED. I hope you make lots of $$$ on it.

Anonymous said...

I think it's so pretty and hope you will raise a lot of money:)

Fleurette said...

Love piecing and redwork together in a quilt - beautiful!