Friday, September 26, 2014

The Last of Summer Sun?

Seasons’ change we are looking very closely at fall here in Northern Virginia. One day it was a hot summer day and the next it was cool and breezy… although the sun was shining.

I took the camera with me for a short drive one day…  and found these. They are blooming all over… along the road, in the middle of fields, along fence and tree lines every where!

cr-beggarsticks-flower-1038

Coreopsis major - Greater Tickseed, Whorled Leaf Coreopsis, Forest Tickseed.

cr-beggarstick-wire1064 

If I lived where I could see these from my windows I’m not sure I could get anything done inside the house! Such a happy riot of yellow and green!

cr-beggars-and-butterflies1

I like that there are 2 butterflies visible… both are sulphurs (a white and a yellow). Technically a bad photograph because the horizon is skewed, but either the horizon or the plant would have to be tilted….

cr-butterfly-field1048


This was across the road…there is Buttercup, (I think), Queen Anns Lace and a small white daisy. On the left is another butterfly (a sulphur… which one I don’t know) , and just behind it, in the back ground you can see some small blurry blue dots of flowers and those are chicory.

A few miles down the road the maples are beginning to show some color. In a few weeks the color in the Shenandoah Mountains should be spectacular!!! So I am thinking these might be the last of the summer flowers.

 

3 comments:

  1. I used to have Coreopsis but none of it came up this year. I guess I'll have to get a new plant next year and then it will self seed for several years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty flowers! I took a shot of a maple in flaming color this morning. I would love fall because of the color if it didn't mean winter was coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, these are such happy pictures. Love them, the contrast with the bright yellow against the dark greens is fabuous!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment- big or small.... I love hearing what the pictures say to you too.