Thursday, May 14, 2020

Wildflowers



Got a bit off track... Not enough time to get everything done... and then how much longer it takes to get anything done... But enough complaining.

Spring in the country and in a woodland forest is fabulously different than in a peopled area. So, far not so much the critters as it is the flora. Every time I take a walk in the woods here, I find a new to me flower- or one I am happy to know grows here.

The Spring Beauty


The Spring Beauty has flowers smaller than a dime at fully open and has been blooming since late March in many locations in the woods

Cutleaf Toothwart

A wildflower that also has very small flowers, when fully opened and is a dappled sun plant that grows best in the forest floor mulch. Pretty much done for the season, but I still find a small stand in hidden areas.

Muscari (Grape Hyacinth)
In the lawn under a big Maple tree in the front I found these. Hundreds of them. I was missing the natural volunteers in the lawn at the Etown house when these started popping up.

Rue Anenome
These are down near the big creek at the back of the property. 


Pear Tree Blossoms

A very large and overgrown pear tree (not necessarily wild) is the only fruiting tree on the property. It had millions of beautiful blooms, which were pollinated and did begin to produce fruit, but sadly we had a late freeze and the little starts all shriveled off. Not that, the very overgrown tree had any big fruit ... It will need to be severely trimmed back this fall if we want anything larger than 2 bites.
Woodland Ferns
Having spent many of my summers in the forest of coastal Northern California, I kind of expect the forest floor to be covered in deep shade loving ferns. While the oak canopy does create shade, it is nothing like the deep cool shade in the redwood forests.

Wild Blue Phlox
The Wild Blue Phox was a neat surprise, especially when I stumbled upon a big yellow Swallowtail visiting. 


One of the scenes I love is this view up the road toward home on the way back from a walk to the end of the road.

What have you discovered in your own backyard this spring?

More Later! Beth








.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment- big or small.... I love hearing what the pictures say to you too.