Thursday, September 17, 2009

Madison Quilt Expo and Pictures

Last weekend I visited a friend, (Karen), in Madison, WI -Karens Blog. We attended the Madison Quilt Expo. A very nice ‘Regional’ Quilt Show. Just the right size show for a 1-day visit. I saw several stimulating quilts and more hand quilted quilts than I have seen in one show in a very long time!!! I have a few pictures, although the colors are a bit off… due to the lighting and the fact that my point and wait batteries were almost dead, so no flash.


One of the first quilts that made me stop was “Icing on the Cake” by Linda Roy- a queen size, was all done by hand- there is appliqué, embroidery, broidery purse and it's hand quilted.

Another quilt that was hand quilted was “Peony Dream” by Molly Hamilton-McNally. The quilting was done in an orange thread on the black, very
striking and she noted the
central figures were reverse
applique.


One of the things I noticed in the picture, but not at the show was the variegated border. I also noted that the border motif was also appliquéd by hand. The quilting stitch is fabulous!!!







This quilt called “The Creation-Genesis Chapter 1” had a distinctly ‘African’ feel too it, and since I was just in
Africa… well I had to stop. It was all done by machine. Each strip of fabric was about ½ and inch wide. Lots of strips in this! Too many strips for me…. But then again
when you need something to do
and just are not inspired to be
creative.


I saw 3 Machine Quilted quilts that either the quilting was very nice or I liked the design they used, but not necessarily the whole quilt.






And last this was the most interesting edge finish… Although the quilt was nice too. It was an 'Alphabet Quilt, and along with each letter was a foundation pieced block or an embellishment of the letter attached. In addition there was some beading too!
After looking through the pictures I took, these are the ones that stand out the most for me.
There were quite a few vendors, but I didn't spend very much and I never really do at the shows. I go mostly for inspiration and generally buy items I can't/won't find in a local shop. I did purchase 2 'snow' dyed pieces- a pink/white adn a yellow on yellow and one commercial piece of fabric...
Other than my few purchases it was time and gas for a day of friendship and quilting. Is there anything better?
More Later!!!




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment- big or small.... I love hearing what the pictures say to you too.