Thursday, August 1, 2019

A Whole Week!


  
One of the best discoveries so far on 'the farm' has been the pasture.

At one time it housed a horse, possibly some cows, and a small corner a couple of pigs. What is in the pasture now? Weeds to most, but to me wildflowers.

What did I find in the pasture that makes me so happy?

Nature!!!

Lots of Nature.

Specifically... the field is full of Swallowtail Butterflies. Yellow and Black.

2 Swallowtail Butterflies dancing in the air


Yellow Swallowtail Butterfly on Red Clover blossom
Last evening I spotted a Tiger Swallowtail cruising through the yard. It didn't stop though. I think I spotted a Pipevine Swallowtail too but didn't have the camera... I hope this isn't a one-season thing. I would like to spend more time with them next summer. I have also spotted a Monarch or a Viceroy. It hasn't stopped close enough to be certain of the species or even a picture.

And the other is the hummingbird moth. Not particularly pretty, but a fun and difficult subject to capture on film.

Still shot of a hummingbird moth... wings are stopped 
The hummingbird moth gets its name because like the hummingbird, the wings move constantly at a very fast speed.

Same moth different flower
On the way back to the house I inspected the pond. Didn't see any amphibians creatures, but the dragonflies were in abundance.
Posing for the camera
and a bit of nutgrass.

 
Didn't realize when I took the picture, that it would be so blue and green!!!

I hope I don't discover everything in just a month... I am so looking forward to finding more secrets and fun things.

I posted about some of the neighbors on the store blog (www.ihaveanotion.com/blog) if you are interested in those too.

More Later- Beth


1 comment:

Please leave a comment- big or small.... I love hearing what the pictures say to you too.